The semi-finalists (listed below) are now preparing for a two-week public voting period. From September 12 to 25, people will cast votes, up to once per day, for their favorite venture. When voting closes, the venture with the most votes will automatically become one of five finalists. Encore.org will name the other four finalists.
A distinguished panel of judges will select one $50,000 winner from among the five finalists. The other four finalists will win $10,000 each. The audience at a live pitch event on Nov. 14 in Los Angeles will select one of the five finalists for an additional $10,000 prize.
2018 Gen2Gen Encore Prize Semi-finalists
- 4 Real Math (North Chicago, IL)
- 92nd Street Y (New York, NY)
- AI Intergenerational School (Palo Alto, CA)
- AlaQuest Collaborative for Education (Pelham, AL)
- City of Topeka (Topeka, KS)
- Cornelius Public Library (Cornelius, OR)
- CricketTogether (McLean, VA)
- NAACP – Our Youth Scientists (Indianapolis, IN)
- Family Promise (Summit, NJ)
- Fostering Hope (Colorado Springs, CO)
- Good Sun (Grass Valley, CA)
- Grades of Green (New York, NY)
- GrandGarden (Los Angeles, CA)
- Indigenouz PlaceMakerz (Seattle, WA)
- Legacy (Chattanooga, TN)
- Nuns and Nones (Washington, D.C.)
- Read To Me International (Honolulu, HI)
- SaraSolo Productions (Sarasota, FL)
- Saturday Academy (Portland, OR)
- Seeing-i2i (Gainesville, VA)
- Starting Right, Now (Tampa, FL)
- The Service Board (Seattle, WA)
- Ujama Incorporated (Cupertino, CA)
- World Rhythm Academy (Brooklyn, NY)
More information about each semi-finalist’s innovation will be available when public voting starts on September 12.
The Encore Prize is funded by The John Templeton Foundation and the MetLife Foundation, and was created with the support of Aging2.0, IDEO, the MFA in Social Innovation at the School of Visual Arts, the Milken Center on the Future of Aging, the Stanford Center on Longevity and the Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute.
Encore.org is an innovation hub tapping the talent of people 50+ as a force for good. Gen2Gen is Encore.org’s campaign to mobilize 1 million adults 50+ to stand up for — and with — young people today.
The Gen2Gen Encore Prize recognizes and supports organizations and innovative individuals of any age with new ideas to tap the experience of people 50+ to create a better future for future generations.
Published: August 20, 2018