MOVIES & MENTORS
In January 2018, Gen2Gen launched Movies & Mentors, a contest to crowdsource a list of the best intergenerational mentoring movies of all time and inspire people over 50 to become mentors in real life.
Competition was fierce with thousands of people nominating and voting for their favorites but we finally landed on this Top Ten list of the best intergenerational mentoring movies of all time:
TOP TEN LIST
- To Sir, With Love (1967)
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- The Karate Kid (1984)
- Stand and Deliver (1988)
- Good Will Hunting (1997)
- Remember the Titans (2000)
- Secondhand Lions (2003)
- Akeelah and the Bee (2006)
- Up (2009)
- War Room (2015)
During the contest, people in nearly every state in the country hosted more than 150 Movies & Mentors watch parties, bringing people together to watch a great mentoring movie and talk about mentoring in real life.
The crowdsourcing contest may be over, but you can still be part of the fun. There are two ways to get involved:
1. Host a Movies & Mentors watch party. Just pick a movie and sign up below to get our handy guide to hosting a successful watch party.
2. Become a mentor in real life! If you have a little time to give, there’s a young person out there who needs a champion. Search our Opportunity Finder to browse hundreds of volunteer opportunities at youth-serving nonprofits in your neighborhood.
Sign up to host a watch party
We’ll send you a handy guide to get started!